Monday, March 3, 2008

Need to get out for a bit?


This is my plan for the morning. I'm exhausted and sitting in work is no good for that at all. I may go looking for some DVDs (important question on that below).

This method works every time, I guarantee it. So, if you need to go out to get the latest DS game or there's a DVD you want to pick up or you want to go flirt with that girl in the coffee shop or you're just plain bored of that dumbass computer crashing or whatever, just follow the steps above and off you go.

Just remember not to come back with obvious shopping bags. And it's best to leave your phone to reinforce the idea that you're still there and also to avoid answering it in HMV by accident if the boss is looking for you.

So, on my DVDs - can anyone recommend some limited animation to me? Like, extremely limited yet appealing? The more limited the better. I have Roger Ramjet sitting here, which I love, but I'm looking for more. I'm thinking Japanese anime has good examples of putting effort into the drawings but not the frames and they have some good action sequences but the only anime I have is film budget and nowhere near as limited as I'd like. There's the old HB stuff too. But what would you recommend?

5 comments:

Andy Latham said...

I find really limited animation difficult to get into. I always have. I never liked cartoons like Batfink or Secret Squirrel when I was growing up, but I did love the slightly less limited Flintstones or Yogi Bear.

As for Japanese Anime, I find the low frame rate very offputting. I just think in a feature length movie, the animation should be lovely and smooth. I also tend to find that there are much smoother movements on things like vegetation blowing in the wind than on the actual characters.

Mitch Leeuwe said...

LOL I like the cartoon.

How is it going with your idea for a animation cartoon btw?

Do you have the "cartoon modern" book? Maybe you can find something in it about limited animation.

Mr. Trombley said...

Crusader Rabbit was pretty limited.

You can check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo

I don't know if there are any official DVDs, but this exists:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Crusader-Rabbit-Ragland-T-Tiger-Color-1957_W0QQitemZ160212846908QQcmdZViewItem

And there are VHSes that are widely available.

And while I am recommending videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqXWCWSLIY

Bitter Animator said...

Andy, yeah, the frame rate can be off-putting and fluid animation can give something that limited can't but, for better or worse, limited animation is a reality of the business. So it's important that, if you know you're going to be working on a project that does not have a high budget, you accept the limitations and work within them to try to get the best that you possibly can with what you'#ve got.

In my opinion, limited doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and some cartoons offer something great simply because the artists were forced to work on the cheap.

Mitch, things are ticking away slowly! Ever so slowly.

Thanks for that recommendation, Mr.Trombley. I don't think I've ever seen that Crusader Rabbit before.

Krystal said...

I can't think of any extremely old fashioned limited stuff, but since I noticed you're getting into Flash and such, it'd be worth looking into some new Flash shows.. Such as Foster's Home for imaginary friends and El Tigre :)