Monday, October 8, 2007

The flip side

When I was first diagnosed with depression, I was told not to do anything life-changing. It would create too much pressure. On top of that, I was in no place to really make rational decisions.

And that's the really tough part. Because there can be outside factors. When you are diagnosed with depression, you start to question yourself - am I unhappy about a certain thing because of the depression or because that something is wrong and should make me unhappy? The difficulty is that, in times of depression, there is no way of knowing.

If I had acted on my feelings at the time of my first diagnosis, I would not have the lovely wife and child I have now. I would have nothing.

Yet now, I'm medicated and there is one part of my life still not right. Sometimes the pills don't help. Because sometimes, you really do have to address parts of your life that plain suck.
And life does suck a lot.

2 comments:

Andy Latham said...

I guess the flipside is how would someone who's life totally sucked know if they were suffering from depression? Mind you, I guess if everything sucked you would take it as normal and not be depressed by it. Tricky stuff going on in a brain.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

You're work is really neat man !!